Sunday, June 21, 2009

Updates

First let's discuss the green peppers. We have planted and replanted our green peppers, yet they still are disappearing. We've tried the organic mole 'ridder-uver' to no avail. We will not plant any more peppers this year and cultivate differently for next season. Some of our friends have stated the same problems with their peppers. We have all heard different reasons why we are experiencing the "disappearing peppers". Ah well...there is always next year.

Our peas are blossoming and we should have literally a ton of peas in the next week or so.

We have had some hard rains this week. Everything has been soaked, the rain barrels are full and the grass is very tall. We will have to wait until the ground dries up before we can mow again. Hopefully this will occur before we will be required to bale our lawn! *smile*

We've had visitors to the farm this week. My sister, Sandy, stopped by for a few days to visit with us and Grandma. My niece, Carey, also dropped by for an overnight visit on her way north. She brought her husband Nate and children Tyler and Brady. She and her family are healthy and happy. However, Nate needs to watch his soccer playing moves. *wink*

I'm slowly getting over loosing our ducks. We hope to try and work on getting the population of coyotes under control. We've also had something chewing on my birdseed bin. We think this may be a raccoon. The kids set up some mouse traps to discourage this behavior. I hope it works.

I've also just read an article in the Farm and Dairy newspaper by Columnist Scott Shalaway. He spoke about the plight of the fireflies (aka. lightening bugs). My personal opinion is STOP USING LAWN CHEMICALS. A green lawn is pretty, but I think this obsession of a weed free yard is taking its toll on all our insect type critters. So now I'm not only on a 'save the honey bee' campaign, I'll be championing for the fireflies as well.(see link off to the left side to be an observer)
Another observation along the same lines are for our butterflies and hummingbirds. Plant more nectar based flowers along side the pollen based ones and support these winged critters for our children and grandchildren.

The food hit of the weekend is my Blueberry Buckle dessert and Broccoli Salad. Anyone needing these recipes--just email me.

Fun with the girls--- included a trip to the movie theaters to see The Proposal with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. We enjoyed our mother daughter time with this good flick. There was some beautiful scenery. I missed the credits to see what location they used...I hope it was Alaska. We have spoken about an adventure to Alaska someday, I hope we can get there.
We also went to the Duck Tape festival in Avon, Ohio. They showcased prom dresses made with duct tape as well as some interesting art work. There was an entire tent dedicated to duct tape crafts. The girls each bought some colorful rolls of duct tape as well as a t-shirt. It was a nice little home-town festival.

Next weekend I have to work, but we hope to fit in the Woolfest 2009 festival in Kirtland, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment