Monday, June 8, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

We have entered the busy season! The girls are playing community league soccer and swimming for a summer swim league. There that should keep them busy. But no... let's add: "Mom, can I try out for volleyball?" and "Mom, marching band practice for the 4th of July parade starts at the end of the month." Just email me or call my cell, because I don't know where I'll be or when I'll get there. *wink*

Onto the farm.
This weekend we moved the ducks! I didn't realize this would traumatize them as much as it did. I guess I kept them with the chickens too long. I wanted to wait until the pond got some water. While we did receive rain this past week it wasn't enough to fill the pond. So, Emily and I filled many buckets to fill this little(?) pond. I went to Agland on Saturday and bought some chicken wire fencing with some metal fence posts. Then we unwrapped the fencing, pounded in the posts and viola!...a duck pen! We caught the ducks and put them in the pond. Shall I say the word "attitude". The ducks are in a snit. They don't understand why they can't be with their buddies...the chickens. They give me the evil eye and quack when they can't see the chickens. Good thing I didn't move them to another part of the farm. It's been two nights since we separated them. They don't like-- not seeing the chickens at night...but what is nice is they quack when the chickens go into the coop at night. Now we know when to go shut up the barn. We have a coop alarm! I will post a picture of the new duck pen soon.

In the Garden: The peas are progressing nicely, Jim replanted the beans and some peppers (something been eating them). The eggplant has disapparated! I didn't replant it. The dill is coming up nicely as is grandma's sunflower garden. I'm nervous about the pumpkin patch as we haven't seen any sprouts yet. Jim says to give it a while as it has been cooler this last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment