Sunday, July 5, 2009

Weekend Roundup!

First of all... Happy 4th of July!
Our 4th was filled with a parade... Allison's first in the Austintown Fitch marching band. We are all very proud of her. She will have a short hiatus for the remainder of this month and then begin practicing in earnest for the upcoming football season in August.
We 'chilled' out for the rest of the day and enjoyed our neighborhood fireworks show in the evening.
I finally purchased two plastic watering cans for the chickens to replace the galvanized ones that rusted out. I thought galvanized was supposed to endure, but apparently I was proved wrong.
Today we put up around 40 jars of black raspberry jelly. Dad is instrumental in this project as he is our lead berry picker. He has a knack for finding the best berry patches. Supplement that with our own backyard vines (which were quite plentiful) and viola... 40 jars of jelly!
I've been picking (and eating) our sweet peas. I think they've just about run its course. Our zucchini and pumpkins are growing quite nicely and we should have an abundant amount of both.
Our Linden trees are finally blooming. About a week ago our local weather forecaster announced that the Linden would be blooming. I immediately ran out to our tree and didn't see or smell anything. This weekend, however, they finally started to blossom. They aren't as prolific as normal... we think the late frost may have hampered them this year. I don't know if I'll be able to harvest any for tea this year - maybe next year.
The cherries are about finished too. I didn't have a chance to pick any, and I'm not sure if Dad or the girls had a chance to pick any either. However, the birds loved 'em!
I received a heirloom tree order book this week and found the transparent apples that I have been looking for. I think we will order two for next year...and possible a few others as well.
Enough for now... I'm going back outside to enjoy a rain free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment