Monday, May 18, 2009

Wow the ducks are huge! (Compared to our chicks)
The shearing day was rescheduled for Thursday this week. Good thing,these poor guys are getting warm! Over the weekend, it warmed up and they were breathing heavy. Gotta get the fan before too long!
Due to a freeze and frost WARNING... We've had to cover the strawberries for the last two nights. Tonight we also covered our black raspberries. We noticed that the leaves for the Concord grapes were 'nipped' last night (forgot about those) :( We don't know how this will effect the itty bitty grapes sprouting.
We finally got some peas to sprout and our lettuce bed is full! I planted the broccoli and can't wait to plant the rest of the garden. I think we will be able to safely plant the tomatoes and peppers over Memorial Day weekend. I hope to throw some beets and carrots in also.
I finally got out the Sunflower seeds and put them into some dampened paper towels. This should help them to sprout quickly. I hope Grandma will like her Sunflower Garden this year. While deciding which packets to open... one of my seed packets I read stated it was a non-pollinating Sunflower. I didn't open this packet as I want honey bees and hummingbirds to pollinate all around us. I found an interesting book entitled - The Ultimate Sunflower Book by Lucy Peel, Harper Collins Publishers, 1997. It has everything you ever wanted to know, garden, craft and cook with/about sunflowers. Check it out at your local library (a blatant plug). *smile*
The girls and I are anxiously awaiting the Great Lakes Fiber Show in Wooster, Ohio this weekend. This is our first time to this show and we are excited to see all the fiber, vendors, and animals.
I attended another Mahoning Columbiana Bee Association meeting and met up with an individual that is willing to be a mentor to me. He has hives on his father's property in the suburbs as well as hives on his urban lot. I hope to learn alot from him so that I can start my Apiary next season. They informed me of workshops that are held in February and March that I plan to attend next year in Wooster, Ohio as well as Western Pennsylvania. I also subscribed to the recommended magazine Bee Culture. I can't wait to learn about bees and become a good guardian for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment