Friday, March 18, 2011

Bees, the Garden and Earthquakes....Oh My!

BEES

I walked back to the hives today to see it all a "buzz". I am happy to see that some our our girls made it through the cold, harsh winter. The temperature reached about 60 degrees today and the bees were busy. I fed them a pollen patty to help them get their mojo back until the blossoms appear.
Come on....blossoms.
I encourage everyone to plant something for our pollinators. Remember butterflies are pollinators too! Sunflowers are easy to plant and grow and benefit the butterflies, honey bees and birds too! This year I want to plant some bee balm as well as some other pollinating plants. I hope to have some nice flowering plants all season long.
More flowers + More pollinating = MORE HONEY!!!

THE GARDEN

This is the first year in about the last ten where I actually had the time to prepare the garden for early spring planting. I have one box ready to go and I planted some spinach, radishes and lettuce. I need to go to the store to get my pea seeds and some onions and my Spring Garden Box will be ready. Woooo....Hooo.





EARTHQUAKES IN OHIO
Apparently our area experienced a 2.6 magnitude earthquake on St. Patrick's day (March 17, 2011). I didn't feel it as I was taking a car pool to Jazz Band practice. And I didn't notice any buildings shaking. Thankfully, no major damage was reported in our area.
My prayers continue for the folks in Japan dealing with their Earthquake, Tsunami, Cold Weather and Energy problems. The American Red Cross continues to help. Please keep these victims and volunteers in your prayers.
Below is the information from the USGS web site that monitors earthquakes.

Magnitude 2.6 - YOUNGSTOWN-WARREN URBAN AREA, OHIO
2011 March 17 10:53:09 UTC


This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
2.6
Date-Time
Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 10:53:09 UTC
Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 06:53:09 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location
41.110°N, 80.680°W
Depth
5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region
YOUNGSTOWN-WARREN URBAN AREA, OHIO
Distances
2 km (1 miles) WNW of Youngstown, Ohio
18 km (11 miles) SE of Warren, Ohio
95 km (59 miles) ESE of Cleveland, Ohio
234 km (145 miles) ENE of COLUMBUS, Ohio
Location Uncertainty
Error estimate not available
Parameters
NST= 7, Nph= 7, Dmin=2.8 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=108°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=1
Source
USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
us2011ipc6
Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

No comments:

Post a Comment